Carpet Padding information:
When you are ready to have new carpet installed make sure you get the best quality carpet padding to go with it. The padding will help your carpet last longer and work better. Carpet padding density and thickness each help with carpet performance.
- The main reason for carpet padding is to absorb impact that the carpet would otherwise be subjected to.
- A firm and resilient carpet cushion forms the foundation for your carpet. The right cushion acts as a shock absorber to increase comfort and extend durability. It also helps buffer sound and provides increased insulation, making a room quieter and warmer
- When selecting carpet padding be sure to check the carpet manufacturer’s recommendation for thickness and density. A standard guide for most residential carpet is to select upgraded padding that is 7/16 inch thick and 8 pound density. If your installing berber carpet choose a padding no more than 3/8 inch thick with 8 pounds density.
- The type and thickness of padding differs based on the usage the room will receive. Rooms with light or moderate traffic can use thicker and softer padding. Heavy traffic areas require thinner, firmer cushion.
- A typical problem is purchasing carpet padding that is too thick. If the carpet is too high from the floor then it will not hold on to the tack strip properly and will eventually pull away from the walls.
Types of Carpet Padding:
Bonded Urethane: This padding is called rebond and is the most popular type of carpet padding.. It is made from reclaimed scraps of urethane foam used in the furniture and auto manufacturing industries. These scraps are bonded together to form carpet cushion.
Flat Rubber: For the longest lasting padding use flat rubber. The main drawback is that it is very expensive. We typically only use this type of padding if you have Radiant heating.
Fiber Cushion: This carpet padding uses scrap fiber and is environmentally friendly.
Urethane Foam: is available in different densities and thicknesses.
Double stick pad: This type of pad is good for commercial applications. HOTELS…. where carts are constantly rolling up and down the hallways. This padding helps the carpet perform longer.
Moisture barrier Carpet Padding: This padding features a breathable moisture barrier that helps keep many spills like pet urine from soaking through the carpet and into the cushion and floors. Often concrete floors emit water vapors which can get trapped in the carpet padding and cause mold or mildew under your carpet. A breathable moisture barrier in the padding allows water vapors to pass through the padding and evaporate.
As you can see there is a lot to consider when choosing padding for your carpet. At Coventry we can help you with your decision. The bottom line is that the better the carpet padding the longer your carpet will last.